The 3 Pillars Of Great Health

The 3 Pillars of Great Health

You can’t build a house without strong foundations and your health is no different.

For 13 years I’ve sat in a seminar room with Don Tolman as part of my work facilitating his live events – and an important wisdom that Don teaches is how the word ‘house’ comes of the latin ‘abode’ which also means ‘body’.

It’s a key concept to always keep in mind.

If you’re suffering from any type of discomfort, diseaseailment or constant sluggishness, it’s probably time to forgo band-aid solutions and go back to the start to rebuild your health foundations.

Here are what I consider “The 3 Pillars To Great health” and healing which I hope you’ll find useful:

1). Conscious Awareness – I rate this as number 1 because it’s the only attribute that will ensure lasting change. Our inbuilt belief systems (which are typically a product of our upbringing, social circle and our willingness to buy into propaganda) tends to dictate our behaviours.  So no matter how much temporary exposure we may have to the 7 principlesnew insights and valuable information that makes sense, unless we go to work on rewiring our belief systems nothing will change long term.

The fact is it hurts to heal, and change is often associated with a certain degree of pain, but ultimately you need to focus on your desired outcome and immerse yourself in the right mental and emotional fuel on a consistent basis to help drive positive, lasting change in your life;

2). Diet – We all know that diet plays a critical role in determining the state of our health and yet this is an area that creates so much confusion with so many fad diets and modalities out there (Raw Food, Paleo, Vegan, Vegetarian, Blood Type etc. etc).

When it comes to food, simply eat a clean ‘unprocessed’ diet that includes lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds and wholegrains. I like to apply the 80/20 rule to my diet which means 80% raw fruits/veges, salads and cooked vegetables and 20% concentrated foods like legumes, wholegrain rice, pasta etc. Finally, include cold pressed plant oils like extra-virgin olive and coconut oil in your diet every day and embrace fermented foods to promote good bacteria in the gut. See how this works for you – I bet you’ll notice a big difference in short time.

• Water – not drinking enough water is a key area where many people fall down. They think they’re hungry when they’re actually thirsty and dehydrated.  The weight of your brain is equal to about 2 litres of water and is supposed to replace itself every 24 hours, so make sure that you drink at least 2 litres of water per day.  If you’re very active, take note of Don’s recommendation which is approx. 1 litre per 22 kilos of body weight per day;
  • Eat Liquids First – when you wake after a night’s sleep, your body is craving rehydration so be sure that the first thing that goes into your body each day is good clean water (minimum of 500 mls). Add a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a pinch of Celtic Sea Salt and you’ll be adding extra cleansing benefits, replenishing electrolytes and stimulating your metabolism as well.  Keep in mind also that when you rise your body is still in the “elimination cycle”, meaning it is still processing and digesting waste from the day before, so you don’t want to overwhelm your stomach during this time with solid food for at least the first couple of hours. Start with a fresh juice or smoothie if you need to eat during this time. Your body will love you for it and you’ll find you’ll have a lot more energy to kick-start your day (P.S. I rarely eat anything solid before 10am apart from the odd “Sunday brekky” with my kids);

3). Movement – Like I mentioned in a recent blog, if you don’t use your body, you’ll lose its function. Energy creates energy and we are meant to move on a regular basis. If you do nothing else, walk for 30-45 minutes each day first thing in the morning outside if you can.  Making this a daily ritual stimulates physical and emotional balance within the body and will give you far-reaching, long-term health benefits. If you want to take things up a level, experiment with any low impact exercise that brings you joy e.g. Yoga, Pilates, Circuit Training, Cycling or Swimming.  To re-shape your body or speed up fat loss, you’ll need to include resistance training as well because muscle is the engine in which fat is burned (P.S. You don’t need to train like Arnie to get results either!!, but it’s essential that you put your muscles under some resistance in order to stimulate strength and shape).

Finally, remember that life is about balance and is to be enjoyed, so don’t stress if you fall off the wagon for a while.

What I’ve found is that by making these three pillars ‘non-negotiables’ for the bulk of my life, it gives me the lee-way to let my hair down every once in a while without much damage or regret because my foundations are strong.

I hope you’ll embrace these 3 pillars so that you can have strong foundations too 🙂

I’d love to hear your comments and feedback in the ‘comments’ section below.

Cheers,

Zane Truscott

Zane.

*Zane Truscott is the Founder & CEO of Fortune Events – official promoter and events facilitator for Don Tolman (a.k.a. “The wholefood medicine man”), in Australia and New Zealand since 2006. He’s a wellness advocate, personal growth strategist, fitness enthusiast, advanced yogi, martial arts black belt, husband to Inga of 18 years and proud Dad to three teenage girls*

@zanetruscott

16 Comments

• Heiko

May 2, 2018 at 10:56 am

Thanks Zane, always great to receive a few reminders on the basics
    Cheers, looking forward to seeing you again in Perth real soon 🙏💪👌

• ztruscott

May 4, 2018 at 2:28 pm

Hi Heiko, Thanks for your comments and look forward to seeing you in Perth soon too. Take care, Zane 🙂

• Christina

May 2, 2018 at 11:26 am

AWESOME read! This has encouraged me to get back on track 🙂

• ztruscott

May 4, 2018 at 2:27 pm

Great to hear from you Christina and I’m wrapped you found it useful 🙂 Cheers, Zane.

• Fran Leddick

May 2, 2018 at 12:31 pm

Zane & Inga
    I’ll never forget the Boot Camp I attended April 2017 – absolutely fabulous. Wish I could afford to do another one.

How good is this great bloke Don, informing us simply to lead a healthier lifestyle. Just wish I had have been able to get my late husband to listen to Don earlier….regrets!!

What a great team you and Inga are…. very inspirational.

Sincerely
    Fran Leddick

• ztruscott

May 4, 2018 at 2:26 pm

Hi Fran, Lovely to hear from you. Yep, Don’s the man! I’m sure your husband would be proud that you gave him a chance. If at any stage in future you’d like to re-attend Basecamp (as more and more people are doing these days to stay on track), we do offer a special graduate rate, so just contact us on 1800 623 890 and we’ll look after you. Take care, Zane.

• DIana

May 2, 2018 at 2:21 pm

Hi there,

Just wanting some feedback on smoothies vs. juices. What is the best option? I have just bought a cold press juicer but enjoy smoothies when I buy them from BOOST JUICE.

What is my best option?

What electrical device makes smoothies best?

Thank-you for your time.

• ztruscott

May 4, 2018 at 2:34 pm

Hi Diana, It really depends on what you’re trying to achieve. Personally, I would start the morning with fresh cold-pressed juice whenever you can as this will be absorbed quickly into the blood stream as little to know digestion is required. Then, if you want to prepare a smoothie an hour or so later to get you through the morning, I’d do that then once your digestive system has done it’s magic. As for best machines to make smoothies, Inga and I use a Vitamix at home, but any good quality blender will do the trick. Thanks for your comments. Talk soon, Zane 🙂

• Allan McGregor

May 2, 2018 at 5:24 pm

Hi Zane, I am over weight. How do I know what my weight should be or by using your recommendations will my body find it’s natural weight? Thanks for your blog.

• ztruscott

May 4, 2018 at 2:40 pm

Hi Allan, Thanks for the question. Personally, I don’t believe in weight measures as I believe it confuses the issue and if you do the right things, your body will find it’s ideal weight. The big trick is to keep things simple – and the best place to start if you’re over weight – is to heal your digestive system first. That means cleaning up your diet with an abundance of plant foods and starting your day with the recommendations in my blog. A juice fast for multiple days can help speed up the process and Don’s ‘colon cleanse’ clay & fibre product will help strip accumulated waste in your digestive tract. From there, you’ll have a good base to move forward and kick start losing those unwanted kilos. I hope this helps mate. Cheers, Zane 🙂

• Diana

May 2, 2018 at 10:23 pm

Sounds easy and sound. We make it hard but these basics are simply habits to abide by for a peaceful and comfortable physical and mental life. Everything else falls well from these. Thanks for the reminder.

• ztruscott

May 4, 2018 at 2:22 pm

You’re welcome, Diana. Yep, we need to get back to basics sometimes to notice a big difference. Take care.

• TimM

May 2, 2018 at 11:18 pm

Thank you I will be sharing this around – particularly starting off the day with liquids first and the lemon juice seems to contribute to more energy through the day. Also I purchased the FDR I love it – always reading it.

• ztruscott

May 4, 2018 at 2:20 pm

Hi Tim, Fantastic to hear. Keep it up!

• Kristy

May 4, 2018 at 2:45 pm

Great reminder to stay on top of things and that life is all about balance! Keep up the great work 🙂

• ztruscott

May 4, 2018 at 2:54 pm

Hi Kristy, Thanks for the comments!